Playing with some toys while I'm waiting for my surgery
Here I am in recovery...all done! Boy did that graham cracker and water taste good.
Well, yesterday was the big day! I got tubes in my ears. After 7 ear infections since the end of January it was time. My surgery was scheduled for 11:15am so that meant that I couldn't eat any solids after midnight. Mommy and Daddy were planning to wake me up at 3:30am to feed me a bottle because I couldn't have any formula after 4am but I woke up myself at 3:29am. Then I went back to sleep until 7:ooam. I was able to have some water and some jello before 8am. We had to be at the Children's Day Surgery Center at 10am. When we got there they checked us in and then not long after that the nice nurse gave me some hospital jammies to wear, talked to mom and dad, took my temperature, weighed and measured me and checked my oxygen level. After that we went back to the waiting room. Shortly after that a nice lady came and talked to us about how the day would go once the doctor was there and also told us a little about the how they would put me to sleep. Then we waited for what seemed like forever! I played with some toys, Mommy and Daddy took me to see the fish, we looked at pictures of fish, we walked and walked. Finally I fell asleep on Mommy's shoulder. After a little longer Mommy and Daddy talked to the doctor that was going to really put me to sleep and then we met with my ENT. The surgery started about 45 minutes late.
Mommy and Daddy said the worst part was when they put me to sleep. Mommy held me nice and tight and the doctor put a yucky smelling mask on my face. I didn't like it at all. Mommy just kept talking to me and then I was asleep. I guess they put me on the bed, Mommy and Daddy gave me kisses and then I was off to the surgery room. I was in there about 10 minutes and then the doctor went out and talked to mom and dad. He told them I did great and that the tubes were in! I went to the Phase I Recovery for about 10 minutes and then I went to Phase II Recovery where Mommy and Daddy were waiting for me. Boy, did I have a big smile for them when I saw them. I was wide awake and ready for some water and a graham cracker. The nurse listened to my heart a couple times, made sure I did ok with the water and cracker and then we were on our way home by a little after 1pm. I fell asleep on the way home and slept for 2 hours.
When I woke up I was my normal happy self. Grandma Edna and Molly came to visit for awhile. Mommy and Daddy gave me Tylenol for the rest of the day and we have drops that have to go in my ears 2x/day for the next week to make sure my tubes stay clear. I ate a good dinner and was in bed early. It was a long day but my ears sure feel better!
Love,
Addison
Mommy and Daddy said the worst part was when they put me to sleep. Mommy held me nice and tight and the doctor put a yucky smelling mask on my face. I didn't like it at all. Mommy just kept talking to me and then I was asleep. I guess they put me on the bed, Mommy and Daddy gave me kisses and then I was off to the surgery room. I was in there about 10 minutes and then the doctor went out and talked to mom and dad. He told them I did great and that the tubes were in! I went to the Phase I Recovery for about 10 minutes and then I went to Phase II Recovery where Mommy and Daddy were waiting for me. Boy, did I have a big smile for them when I saw them. I was wide awake and ready for some water and a graham cracker. The nurse listened to my heart a couple times, made sure I did ok with the water and cracker and then we were on our way home by a little after 1pm. I fell asleep on the way home and slept for 2 hours.
When I woke up I was my normal happy self. Grandma Edna and Molly came to visit for awhile. Mommy and Daddy gave me Tylenol for the rest of the day and we have drops that have to go in my ears 2x/day for the next week to make sure my tubes stay clear. I ate a good dinner and was in bed early. It was a long day but my ears sure feel better!
Love,
Addison
1 comment:
You look far too grown up in the picture with your graham cracker.
We are glad to hear your procedure went well. I am sure you will feel so much better now that you have the tubes in your ears. I know it helped Mauryn out so much!
Post a Comment